by Margo Graf
In today’s whirlwind of fake news and alternative facts, it is hard to tell what is real and what has been twisted. Let’s see if you can decipher our tricks. Test your knowledge with North Carolina trivia.
1. T or F: Our state nicknames are “Old North Star” and “Tar Heel State.”
2. T or F: North Carolina was number six to gain statehood.
3. T or F: The North Carolina state motto is “Esse quam videri,” which means “To be, rather than to seem.”
4. T or F: Whitewater Falls in Transylvania County is the highest waterfall in the eastern United States.
5. T or F: Coca-Cola was invented and first served in New Bern in 1898.
6. T or F: Havelock is home to Cherry Point–the largest air base in the Marine Corps.
7. T or F: The eleventh POTUS James K. Polk was born in Cabarrus County.
8. T or F: Krispy Kreme Doughnuts was founded in Winston-Salem.
9. T or F: North Carolina is the largest producer of sweet potatoes in the nation.
10. T or F: Jamestown, North Carolina was the first of the original 13 colonies founded by the British.
11. T or F: George Herman Ruth Jr. earned the nickname “Babe Ruth” after hitting a homerun in Fayetteville on March 7, 1914.
12. T or F: Fontana Dam is the tallest dam in the eastern US at 480 feet high.
13. T or F: The Venus Fly-Trap is native to Hampstead.
14. T of F: Mount Mitchell is the 2nd highest peak in the Blue Ridge Mountains after Mount Mansfield.
15. T or F: North Carolina leads the nation in honey production.
1. F, Old North State and Tar Heel State
2. F, NC became the 12th state in 1789
5. F, Pepsi was invented in New Bern
7. F, Polk was born in Mecklenburg County
10. F, Jamestown, Virginia
14. F, Mount Mitchell is the highest at 6,684 feet
15. F, North Dakota is the biggest honey producer