LET WATER BE YOUR BEST FRIEND
BY DR. JOHN RAYE
How much water did you drink today? How much did you drink yesterday? How many sodas did you drink? If you are drinking soda, juice, tea, or coffee more than plain fresh water, you are already planning your next visit to the doctor’s office, the hospital, or perhaps an early visit to the graveyard.
You need to make water your best friend. Think of water as liquid fertilizer for mind, body, and spirit. Studies show a whopping 80% of Americans are dehydrated. Clearly, we are not drinking enough water… soda, tea, coffee, juice, beer, wine, or other alcoholic beverages do not count. There is no substitute for water and there is no excuse for not drinking enough water to nourish your body.
Consider this, would you deny water to your beloved pet? It is a relatively cheap and available element in America. One many people simply ignore, overlook, or fail to realize its true value.
Water is to the body what oil is to a car. A car running low on oil will eventually breakdown and stop running. A body running low on water soon becomes the breeding ground for all sorts of sickness and disease, discomfort, ugliness and feebleness of mind. Simply put, some people would not be so nasty, ugly, and mean-spirited if they would just drink more water! (Dehydration puts our bodies in a foul mood.)
It is a known, medical fact that human beings can live weeks without food, but only a matter of days without water. Every organ in our body needs water; therefore, it is vital to our survival. Water is used to flush deadly toxins and other impurities out of our bodies.
LOOK WHAT WATER WILL DO FOR YOU:
- Weight Control: Water is a great appetite suppressant and a natural element to help lose and control your weight. Make it a habit to drink a glass of water before each meal. You will automatically eat less. How much water should you drink daily? Half of your body weight is a good place to start. If you weigh 150 pounds, then you should be drinking 75 ounces of water.
- Flush Your System: Waste and bacteria will not automatically leave the body. Water can be a good “gut flusher,” moving waste and unhealthy bacteria out of the body. Undigested fecal matter left in your gut is dangerous and unhealthy.
- Prevent Disease: Many diseases begin in the colon. Failure to drink enough water can lead to a breakdown or weakened immune system. Water helps to prevent constipation by adding fluid to the colon, which is essential for bowel regularity.
- Feel Better: Water is essential for life — the more you drink, the better you feel. It helps improve your thinking and brain function since the brain is 85% water. Being dehydrated affects your mood — it makes you grumpy, agitated, and confused. Now you know why some people, perhaps even you, sometimes act as if they have lost their minds. You may not be crazy, you might just need to drink more water.
- Beautify Your Skin: The largest organ in the body is our skin. Nothing improves the appearance of your skin better than drinking enough water. Water keeps your skin fresh, soft, glowing, and smooth and it is widely known to reduce or help eliminate wrinkles. Want to improve your complexion? Drink more water!
- Less Joint Pain: Drinking more water can help reduce pain in your joints, keeping cartilage soft and hydrated.
We live in a world of sugar-loaded sodas, fried chicken, caffeine, alcohol and carbonated beverages. In a study of some 20,000 healthy men and women, it was found that people who drink more than five glasses of water a day were less likely to die of stroke or heart attack than those who drank less than two glasses a day. The message is clear, we all need water. Our health depends on it.