By Joshua Prevette, Ph.D
Positive thinking is a mental and emotional attitude that focuses on the bright side of life.
A positive mind anticipates happiness, joy, and favorable results. If you adopt this attitude, you teach yourself to expect success. We often hear people saying, “think positive”, while these same people do not follow their own advice. Most people do not take these words seriously, since they do not know what they mean, or do not know how to change their mindset. How many people do you know who stop to think about what the power of positive thinking means?
Positive thinking is a way of life. With a positive attitude we experience more pleasant and uplifting feelings. This brings brightness to the eyes, more energy, and happiness. Our whole being broadcasts good will. Even our health is affected in a beneficial way. We walk tall, our voice is more powerful, and our body language shows the way we feel.
Attitude is contagious. We affect and are affected by the people we meet in one way or another. This happens instinctively and on a subconscious level, through words, thoughts and feelings, and through body language. Is it any wonder that we want to be around positive people, and prefer to avoid negative ones? People are more disposed to help us if we are positive. Negative thoughts, words, and attitudes inspire unfavorable responses and actions. Negativity breeds more negativity. Thankfully the opposite is true as well; positivity breeds positivity.
In order to turn the mind toward the positive, some inner work is required because attitude and thoughts do not change overnight.
- Ignore what other people say or think about you. Do not allow negative opinions to impact how you think about yourself.
- Use positive words in your inner dialogues or when talking with others.
- Smile a little more, as this helps to think positively.
- Once a negative thought enters your mind, you must be aware of it and endeavor to replace it with a constructive one. If the negative thought returns, replace it again with a positive one. It is as if there are two pictures in front of you and you must choose to look at one of them and disregard the other. Persistence will eventually teach your mind to think positively and ignore negative thoughts.
- Do not give up, but keep focusing only on the beneficial, good, and happy thoughts in your mind.
- It does not matter what your circumstances are at the present moment. Think positively, expect good things, and whether your circumstances change or not, your perception of them will change and your outlook on life will brighten. If you persevere, you will transform the way your mind thinks.
If you believe today will be a wonderful day, it will be. Keep that in mind and live each day with an optimistic smile.