2014 a Year in Review
by Chris Comer
This is the time of year when I look back and reminisce on the past eleven months. It is a time to be thankful for all whom we work with in this town we call home and a time to reflect on all that has happened in our lives and our community. Great things continue to happen and you are all a part of it.
• The year started off with the Groundbreaking ceremony at the VA Medical Center. The beams are up and the building is shaping into a beautiful structure. Thousands of veterans will use the Medical Center when it opens in 2016. We are a fortunate town to be able to serve our veterans.
• Work continues on roads on all four points of Kernersville. We are excited the state and our town are working hard to keep up with the growth in our area. Although it is a challenge for now, when it is all said and done the new roads will accommodate and encourage growth.
• Celebrate Kernersville was a great day to remember. WXII Channel 12 took weeks to meet those in our community. On a chilly Wednesday the news was broadcast live, all day, from the library parking lot.
• The 22nd Annual Spring Folly was the largest to date, with an estimated attendance of over 32,000 people visiting our town. With a perfect weather weekend the first full weekend of May, there were plenty of highlights to remember. The petting zoo, pony rides, park rides, and wonderful food. Who can forget the visit from Cole Vosbury, runner up from The Voice? That weekend was full of fun and I look forward to next year!
• Carolina Field of Honor’s first phase was introduced. The Field of Honor is located in the back of Triad Park. The park will be an ongoing project for many years, developing into additional phases to eventually include an amphitheater.
• The 4th of July Celebration started with the traditional 5k run, followed by the parade- one of the largest in history. Classic Cars, floats, and lots of candy…..we all love the candy! Swimming at the local community pool and water park had to be next on the list for most of us. The 4th of July Fireworks finished up the day and were as beautiful as always with a beautiful sky backdrop.
• Chris Lane, our local successful musician, shot a music video all around Kernersville. He loves his hometown and featured Glenn High School (where he attended) and some of our beautiful landscapes and Downtown areas in the video.
• Kernersville is seen as a place to look up to. The NC League of Municipalities CityVision 2014 chose our town to come and tour. Kernersville from Past to Present started at the Farmers Market and then visited the Factory, Körner’s Folly, and the Paul J. Ciener Botanical Garden. What fun it was to tell our history; showcasing the historic buildings in our town along the way.
• A Record number of education grants were given to local teachers this year. It was a successful year for teachers to support their classrooms and provide opportunities for their students. Fifty-five grants were given to 13 Kernersville Schools.
• Downtown Halloween had a record crowd as well. It was all about Elsa® this year and Frozen®, along with darling farm animals. Lines of Trick-or-Treaters came to the downtown area to enjoy the evening.
• Eric Morgan was appointed Forsyth County Superior Court Judge.
• Christmas Around the World and Blinkie Lights is what I look forward to in December. Santa, his elves, candlelight tours, one of a kind gifts, and great food are all in one place for this event – Downtown Kernersville. The Blinkie Lights will make our town beautiful for the rest of the year as they light the trees all over town. And won’t they look beautiful if it snows!?
I wish you all luck with your New Year’s resolutions this year. If it includes exercise, please consider walking around our wonderful town and taking advantage of all the parks we have. Our parks are state of the art and offer many opportunities for all ages. They are beautiful every time of the year and I hope you take advantage of them this year. Get out and enjoy your town. Show off our town to your friends and family. Let’s make it a great 2015!